Monday, June 25, 2012

Sarah - Research & Reference Images


I chose an article from my family beach house location on Long Beach Island, NJ. Posted in the local paper entitled The Sandpaper. It’s about the Long Beach Township’s Department of Public Works recent mission to prevent the southern tip of the island from eroding by the addition of over 120 sandbags. The southern tip of LBI is dominantly covered by the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, a important piece of land containing a vast area for wildlife to nest.. and the work done in the area was a precautionary measure to prevent erosion. Hurricane Irene had also played a huge part in the current erosion damage to the southernmost tip of LBI. As always, more federal funding is needed to further prevent damage to the island, but the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection had been asked for assistance as well.
For this project, I will be using my own personal photos of LBI which includes images of the dunes, beach, birds, plants, and sky.. as well as an image from the article of the sandbags and barrier put up around the site. I’ve also been toying with the idea of  creating an illustrator image of the actual island to place off to the side to inform the reader of location. I’d like to focus on a coherent melding of a select few of the images to create the background in photoshop, followed by a mix of illustrator vector objects that I will create directly from my own photos. I’ve had some previous success in a mixed photoshop/illustrator project before, so what I’m imagining is a melding of sketch(illustrator objects) and photograph by possibly playing with things like opacity to finish and bring together the two types of images. I also see using illustrator objects to create flow with the background image in photoshop to bring together the composition.


http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/news/story/lbt-works-to-protect-south-end-of-lbi-from-erosion/841548











No comments:

Post a Comment